Monday 29 July 2013

Remembrance Day

11 November 2012

I find that issues of War and military action are very difficult to make sense of from a faith point of view. In my mind, I am an idealist; I like to dream about how things can and should be. Obviously, when I am thinking with this idealist head, war should never be an option. Unfortunately we do not live in such an ideal world and it is difficult to maintain such a dream when it means standing aside and watching injustice and oppression do their worst. Our minds also daren’t imagine what our world would look like if our troops had not fought the battles that they have. Whatever your political or personal views are on this subject, I do hope that you will appreciate the opportunity today to honour and give respect to those whose lives have been lost in battle. We cannot help but reflect gratefully upon Jesus’ own words

“Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment