Monday 29 July 2013

‘Mothering Sunday Blogspot’ By our newest mum, Lucy Dumbrill

10 March 2013


A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world (John 16:21)

I entered the chaotic world of motherhood 8 weeks ago so the immense joy and privilege of becoming a 'mum' is still sinking in! My life has changed for the better yet the worry and anguish naturally felt for your child begins before they even leave the womb. As pregnancy took over my body (never to be quite the same again!) maternal worries and concerns for my unborn baby entered my mind. Just as in everyday life, motherhood is filled with wonderful blessings but inevitably tinged with anguish along the way.

As Christians we all suffer as a result of living in this fallen world, but when we accept Jesus into our lives we stand to receive the greatest joy: the promise of eternal life with Him in heaven. In the meantime, if we choose to live in the power of the Holy Spirit we can experience that joy now with the assurance that our earthly suffering is only temporary (phew!)

No doubt I'll always suffer motherly angst towards my daughter - is she safe, happy, healthy?! - but to know that she might one day be born again into a living relationship with Jesus, with the hope of eternal salvation, would be my ultimate motherhood joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment